* Resident of Manassas Park since 1994
* Serves on the Upper Occoquan Service Authority (UOSA) Board of Directors since 2010
* City Representative to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA)
* Vice Chair of the Finance Committee of the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA)
* City Representative on the Route 28 Steering Committee of VDOT
* Member of the Manassas Park Department of Social Services Board
Economic Development continues to challenge our City. When I came onto the Governing Body, I was very surprised to learn that the City did not have an economic development brochure to promote our assets in a variety of venues across the region.
I’m happy to tell you that the City now has an economic development brochure. The City also has an Economic Development Manager, whose sole focus is promoting the City’s assets, and bringing in businesses.
These efforts must continue because increased business in Manassas Park is the key to increased revenue in order to support our core services, and also to help make living in the City more affordable.
We must continue to strongly support our schools. Our children and grandchildren deserve the best education possible. Per pupil expenditures fell by one third between 2008 and 2014, and we need to address this. I will continue my support for the intellectual infrastructure vital to our community.
Through my continued service on the NVTA, I will always support what is best for Manassas Park commuters by promoting congestion relief on Route 28 and other major corridors. In addition, I will strongly advocate for the funding needed to increase parking capacity at the Manassas Park VRE station.
Each year it is necessary to carefully go over the City budget in order to determine the difference between our wants and our needs. I have done this yearly during each budgeting season and I will continue to do this.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. RishellMPCity@verizon.net